Monday 11 February 2013

Django Unchained


Much funnier than I had expected, but just as violent. I'm not sure what else to say except to recommend it highly.



The violence seems to be treated in two ways. That inflicted on the slaves is portrayed in a realistic, uncompromising fashion whereas the gun fights are in a more cartoon, fantasy style. I'm assuming, as an amateur film critic, that the intent is to stress that slavery is bad. I think that Tarantino is rather pushing at an open door there, but who am I to argue against a polemic?

It's interesting that two films based around the same issue have come out at the same time. Both Lincoln and this are actors' films, but here they get to ham it up somewhat more with an awful lot of scenery being chewed, especially by the wonderful Samuel L. Jackson.

There are various anachronisms; I'm pretty sure that dynamite hadn't yet been invented in 1858, but presumably its inclusion is an homage to spaghetti westerns. And watch out for a very funny scene featuring the proto-Ku Klux Klan.

No comments:

Post a Comment