Monday 15 April 2013

Rhododendron is a nice flower

Evergreen it lasts for ever
But it can't beat Strand power

But enough of that. Yesterday was board games day in the White Swan. First up was Plus and Minus which was a pre-war game (literally as the set we played with was itself from the 1930s) and proved to be rather good for a quick warm up. It was a sort of cross between Ludo and Cribbage and like all the best games it had simple rules, but a need for strategy.

After that we played The Three Musketeers and were in agreement that the mechanics worked, but it seemed lopsided in favour of Cardinal Richelieu. This puzzled me because although I haven't played it for well over a year I always remembered it being rather difficult to win with the Cardinal. Anyway, subsequent diligent study of the rules proved that I had misremembered them with regard to Milady. It needs another go now that is clear.

If a beard is worth seeing then it's worth seeing from all angles

Thirdly was Citadels, which was very good except that I never seemed to have any gold and when I did get some it got stolen straightaway. I came last, but at least learned what strategy not to follow. I often find that I learn what strategy not to follow next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment