Thursday 2 May 2013

Fire and Stone

There is some good news on the wargames rules front. Obviously there can never be too many sets of rules either in one's own collection or in the world at large and so the announcement of any upcoming set is to be welcomed. The set that I am referring to are (currently) known as Vauban's Wars and are being developed within the Piquet rule family by Eric Burgess.

A chap in a wig

Those with long memories and/or no lives may remember that my own personal current wargaming project (as opposed to freeloading on James Roach's hard work) is the War of the Spanish Succession; or at least it would be were not all my figures etc still the marital home, from which I have been excluded due to - well, best not to discuss that. I do retain hopes of at some point in the not too distant future living somewhere with enough room for a wargames table and so keep the flame alive by counting the WSS as my current period even though nothing has been done on it for some considerable time. I started on the WSS project not because of any particular interest in it, but because I was stitched up by another wargamer, whom it would be best not to name, but whom I shall refer to for the purpose of this blog only as 'Mark Dudley'.

I can't say that I wasn't warned
 
Anyway, having been persuaded against my better judgement to throw in my lot with the world's leading instigator of abandoned projects I went away and read up on the period. It became apparent that most of the action at the time was in the form of sieges rather than set-piece battles, but you all knew that anyway. Imagine my pleasure then to discover at about that time that Eric Burgess (who blogs here: Din of Battle) was developing a set of siege rules for the period. Now, as it happens, he has also taken a bit of down time from wargaming - it happens to us all - but has recently given word on the Piquet forum that he is back in the saddle and that these rules are likely to see the light of day later in year. If my luck is really in then that will coincide with me having somewhere to play them.

No comments:

Post a Comment