Thursday 11 July 2013

Crusader Cauldron

James had rejigged the previous week's battlefield, forces, decks and rules. The drink remained coke, although there was an exciting new shelf for the British commander to put his glass on, and it was still the Western Desert in November/December 1941. One thing that hadn't changed much was my uncanny ability to bring my armour on in the wrong place; a trait that actually resonates through the ages because I did exactly the same thing with my Seljuk Turk forces a couple of months ago.

The British commander decides that the Sea of Tranquility is the best place to bring on his tanks

Fortunately, this week the initiative split my way and the armour on the British right flank was able to swing unmolested round one of the three objective hills and is currently racing across open terrain towards one of the two German armoured units. It will shortly (?) be joined by that part of my armour yet to arrive which should sweep straight across the middle of the board between the other two hills. The outcome is, I would suggest, in the lap of the cards. If they go my way I shall be able to concentrate all my armour on half of Peter's and destroy it before the other half gets into the battle, to do which it will have to run the gauntlet of a relatively formidable (for the British) anti-tank gun line. The alternative scenario is that the German's get the initiative and are able to use their technical superiority - especially in tank range and anti-tank guns - to shoot up the Brits in a rather historical fashion. Were I a betting man then my money would be on the Hun, but the Brits are by no means out of it.

There hasn't actually been that much fighting yet. A unit of German motorbike troops has been rather badly seen to - mainly because they never managed to get sufficient initiative to get off their bikes and drink their milk - and my 25 pounders have suffered a bit from Stuka attack. I suspect that next week will see the armour of both sides seriously reduced.


I'm taking these cows to Tobruk and you can't stop me

No comments:

Post a Comment