Sunday 25 August 2013

More meeples

It was Leeds Meeples at the Victoria Hotel today with a very large and very noisy turnout. There must have been thirty people at the peak, which the room coped with mainly because we were able to open the fire door. I'm not sure what would happen in the winter. Like many things the group seems to be a victim of its own success.

Anyway, games played were King of Tokyo, Citadels, Alhambra, Pandemic and a quick couple of rounds of Uno just to finish off. Of the two that I hadn't played before Kings of Tokyo is a very light, but highly enjoyable nonetheless, dice game. Yahtzee with monsters as someone described it. And what's not to like about giant monsters fighting in the middle of the Japanese capital? And I won; as opposed to Alhambra in which I came last by a considerable margin.

Pandemic is a co-operative game, and I'm not especially fond of those, but this wasn't so bad. I'm not sure whether that's despite the fact that we lost and humanity was destroyed by infectious diseases or because of it.

1 comment:

  1. Well now.

    I have been quietly working my way forward from the beginning, and have reached the latest post. At first I was just intrigued by the minimalism, and the self-satirizing rhetorical stance. Normally a blogger will overtly stand for something, have some tub to thump, and so I found the lack of partiality, the even-handed, universal application of irony unusual, but I have warmed to it. There is a definite lack of crowding in here – no unseemly clamour, so to speak. I find that refreshing. Classy.

    Now I have become a regular reader. I fear that you will be – mostly – disappointed to learn this. I am not sure that you actually discourage readers or comments, so I hope you are not pissed off by my participation.

    I look forward to more of the same. Less of the same?

    Whatever – thank you.

    One small point – not really a quibble. It would be ungracious to quibble when I have just arrived. I finally worked out that the mystifying list of labels is actually in order of number of instances. That’s fine – no problem with that, except that it requires the additional fun of scanning the complete list to find anything. I understand that this is all part of your editorial stance of discounting the possibility of anyone reading the blog, but I thought I’d mention it.

    ReplyDelete