Tuesday 1 October 2013

Maslow and Sod

My absence from the blog recently has mainly been due to my having moved. The whole process, which isn't yet complete, has taken an inordinate amount of time, especially considering that I don't own much and that a large part of what I do own - including all my wargames stuff - is sitting in the garage of the marital home. One of my main concerns has been moving away from the cultural attractions of central Leeds, but in practice the real issue has been trying to get the hot water to work.

The sort of thing one could see from my window if it was in a different place

I have moved to Ilkley, with a lovely view of the moor through the window as I type this. Now Ilkley is of course the epicentre of wargaming for, possibly, the whole of the Wharfe valley and one expected benefit of relocating was to facilitate gaming. However, this Wednesday, I can't make the first game since my move because I have to be at a meeting in, er, central Leeds.

1 comment:

  1. Best wishes for your move - I am interested by the idea of changing the view from the window. Some years ago (maybe 20?) I went to Manchester on a business trip, and stayed at a hotel in (or near) Piccadilly. This hotel had obviously been an impressive affair in Victorian times, and they had modernised it extensively, including splitting some of the bigger rooms into two. This is always a challenge for an architect, and even more of a challenge for Pat and Mick without an architect. Anyway, my room did not have an outside wall, which had been sorted out by putting a fake window frame on one of the walls, beyond which was a large illuminated photograph of ... Paris(!). It was Paris at night, down by the Seine, with the lights of the Eiffel Tower in the background and everything. Bizarre. Disconcerting. My colleague, down the corridor, apparently had a view of the forests of New England in the Fall, and he was confused as well. We were there for only one night (I think we were attending some big IBM press rollout of some world-changing software development platform which ultimately turned out to be, itself, merely a photo of Paris), but the uneasy memory has lasted.

    There is scope for changing the view to something unexpected, but it does odd things to your head.

    ReplyDelete