Thursday 28 November 2013

Boom!



The previous week had seen the quick end of James as the Prussians, bridge unblown, and then the restart of the same game (minor rule variations always excepted) with Peter potentially facing the wrath of Frederick. This time it had got off to a slow start and my second Russian command hadn’t yet arrived. The continuation was very different except in one respect; the Russian second command still didn’t arrive. 


Your bloggist in action


To enter required the turning of the Stratagem card twice and we didn’t even manage it once. Perhaps the rather knackered Heavy Cavalry brigade weren’t missed much, but the grenadiers certainly were. In their absence the Prussians were able to concentrate all their fire on the first Russian command and essentially annihilate them, aided by some terrible rolls in cavalry melee by James and some dreadful domino drawing by me. The bridge was prepared and heroically blown with the requisite number of Prussian stands having got across. 



Peter in action

There was plenty of time to set up again, this time with me as the Prussians and with Peter back on the Russian side going for three victories out of three. I am very happy with the way that my infantry have rolled up – one is average and the rest better – but I have a poor commander and I have a nasty feeling that my initial dispositions don’t suit the entry points chosen by my opponents. We shall see.

James in action

No comments:

Post a Comment