Sunday 13 April 2014

The past is never where you think you left it

"Sins cannot be undone, only forgiven" So said Igor Stravinsky, thereby begging the question as to what happens if they never are. I am drawn to this philosophical question by, well, by a sad event, by my solipsistic reaction to it and by the resultant memories of stuff that happened forty years ago that you don't need to know about.

The simple things you see are all complicated

So, watch this video - very evocative for me although I suspect not for anyone else who was there - and note the irony that the lyrics contain the phrase "Can't keep the ghosts away".





We eat and drink, we come and go 
(The sunlight dies upon the open sea). 
I speak in riddles. Is it so? 
My riddles need not mar your glee; 
 For I will neither bid you share 
My thoughts, nor will I bid you shun, 
Though I should see in yonder chair 
Th' Egyptian's muffled skeleton. 
One toast with me your glasses fill, 
Aye, fill them level with the brim, 
De mortuis, nisi bonum, nil! 
The lights are growing dim.

                       - Adam Lindsay Gordon

No comments:

Post a Comment