Monday 12 May 2014

Pot26pouri

So, I have disappeared again. A quick catch-up is required.

James once again offers Peter the benefits of his advice

Zorndorf, having stuttered to a halt, has Groundhog Day-like started up again. This time the final terrain changes encouraged Peter as the Prussians to press his attack across a wider front. He has had more success than I did last time around, but fortunately his pre-battle artillery bombardment wasn't as effective. The decisive element will be how Seydlitz's cavalry do against my right flank which I believe is the only place he can logically bring them on. Rule changes - quelle surprise - have meant no action so far for the Cossacks. But they're still there just in case. James rather forcibly pressed his copy of the Osprey into my hand as preparation for speaking to the punters at Triples - as if - and Peter, scheduled by James' OCD to read it next, will be pleased to learn that I did not follow instructions by reading it while having a dump.

"Why didn't they follow Fredrick's orders?"

Culture has been a bit light, but I did catch Robert Cray who was pretty damn good. If I'm honest I prefer my blues a bit grittier, but that's almost like criticising him for being too good a guitar player.



A shortened visit to the Victoria Hotel saw the obligatory opening game of Apples to Apples followed by Quantum and Alien Frontiers. The last two are of course completely different, but both feature dice as spaceships. I won what was my first game of Alien Frontiers by adopting a strategy of never buying any cards, a tactic I often follow in for example King of Tokyo. I think that Quantum manages that aspect better by giving you the cards for placing cubes (the object of the game) instead of you needing to buy them instead of placing colonies (the object of the game in Alien Frontiers). But what do I know? [Yes I know that the one thing I know is that that is a rhetorical question]


And expect big news on the wargaming annexe later this week.

1 comment:

  1. "I'm sorry sir, you can't bring this book back for a refund." (Store clerk) "Why is that?" (George Costanza) "It's been flagged as having been in the bathroom. We can't give refunds on books that have been in the bathroom!"(store clerk) (Sorry Graham, SEINFELD reference!)

    ReplyDelete