Monday 23 June 2014

Strange Brew

I have been to see Eric Clapton, and as seems to be increasingly the way of these things it was for the first time since the late seventies. Expectations were mixed because he had apparently stormed off stage mid-set in Glasgow the previous evening. Those reports must have been somewhat exaggerated though because as far as I could tell the set at Leeds Arena was identical. It was difficult to be sure though because 'God' was curiously disengaged throughout. He only spoke two words to the audience all night. "Paul Carrack" he said, after the latter had beautifully sung 'How Long'.


'Slowhand' is, of course, knocking on a bit now and so one must allow him a few eccentricities. In fact he didn't look terribly well and, from where I sat at least, appeared to be wearing a highly unconvincing syrup. But, and it's an important but, boy can he play guitar. I would have paid the money for the version of 'Crossroads' alone.



I went down to the crossroads,
Fell down on my knees.
I went down to the crossroads,
Fell down on my knees.
Asked the Lord above for mercy,
"Save me if you please."


1 comment: