Saturday 26 July 2014

Flying visit

Real life and scorchio have precluded much in the way of wargaming or blogging. However the C&C Napoleonic project just about rumbles on. To recap, the objective was to see if they might be a suitable set of rules for my oddly sized but extensive collection of French, Russian and Prussian Napoleonics. This followed my introduction to their sister rules in the ongoing Punic Wars campaign; the one that has lasted longer than the historical event did in the first place and which is also, for the moment, in hiatus. Even after some cursory solo play testing I'm quite happy with them and so attention turns to the physical environment. My aim was to do a quick and dirty (and cheap) prototype which would be upgraded later, but I found that I quite liked what I had made except for the fact that it was brown. In an unexpected fit of creativity I have addressed that by painting it green.


As Pedro Calderon de la Barca said "Green is the prime colour of the world, and that from which its loveliness arises". Of course he didn't know that was simply because those wavelengths were no use in photosynthesis and that therefore green was actually anything but the most important colour. Still, he was a seventeenth century Spanish playwright, most famous these days for appearing in the Captain Alatriste novels, so what did he know?

Russian militia

I've made some markers to identify what sort of unit each is, It gets a bit difficult to tell the difference between line, light, grenadiers etc, especially given that I painted them years ago. Come to think about it, especially given that I painted them.

'K' is for Old Guard, straight from the painting table and into action

The table is laid out to play the Berezina scenario, but I don't know when I'll play it out as I'm off to the big smoke for a few days. Posts may be intermittent for the next week as I'm not sure exactly how up to speed they are down there with these new technologies.

No comments:

Post a Comment