Thursday 3 July 2014

It's coming home

In the unlikely event that you bothered to think about it you may have been anticipating that cycling would soon feature in this blog. Well here it is a bit early; although don't worry, it will be back at the weekend.

Britain's first medallist at the 2012 Olympics

So last night was the Otley Town Centre Races featuring a 2.5 km circuit notable for a steep climb and an equally steep descent, as well as what was billed as the world's largest ice cream van. I could only catch the Women's Elite Race myself because I had an appointment as Scipio Africanus outside the walls of Carthage, of which more in due course. That race resulted in a popular victory for local heroine Lizzie Armistead and was highly entertaining if difficult to photograph.

(A bit of) the grupetto

The sight of so much blood following various crashes reinforced my opinion that actually getting on a bike is not for me, but it's got to be a good thing for other people to do.

"When I see an adult on a bike I do not despair for the future of the human race." - H.G.Wells

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to following Le Tour as well. Cycling on the road is not for the timid. I have near misses on my bike on a regular basis. As many miles as I put in, it is surprising to my wife that I am still alive.

    ReplyDelete