Sunday 13 July 2014

The Murder at Haversham Manor

And so to the theatre. I have been to see 'The Play That Goes Wrong', something that didn't feature in my plans this time last week, but which was getting such good word of mouth reviews that I took a chance. 'Ridiculously funny' was one description and I must say, having seen it, that it's an understatement; it is both genuinely hilarious and extremely clever. Reviews have described it as 'Fawlty Towers' meets 'Noises Off' and you can see where they're coming from, although it is more Cleese than Frayn. My friend the theatre critic of the Morning Star also observantly points out the spirit of Spinal Tap's drummer in one of the characters of the play within the play.




The author and director (of the play this time rather than the play within the play) are never afraid to make the obvious joke, but are also capable of introducing the unexpected. For a production based on slapstick there are also plenty of witty lines. To be honest I can't imagine anyone not finding this funny, and for a farce there are surprisingly few sardines involved; you should go and see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment