Wednesday 1 October 2014

"Darn right, I wanna trade cards"

In my absence from blogging here - although you will no doubt be relieved to hear that my serious, work-related blog has burst back into life - some boardgaming has taken place.

One Night Ultimate Werewolf: This was the first time I had played any of the werewolf games and I think that it will be the last. In order for these type of games to work one has to give a toss - and I don't.



Templar Intrigue: This is a cheap (literally) Werewolves/Resistance/Avalon knock off and is crap. I was King Philip IV and was tasked with unmasking the Templar Grand Master and the Librarian (yes, the librarian - this is a game about living dangerously) which I managed to do without ever understanding how or why.

Phoenicia: A heavier trading game. For an accountant it's a bit of a busman's holiday and I won pretty easily. The game design doesn't make any sense because no-one who could count would ever pursue half of the options; mining and clothmaking are just not value for money compared to farming so why would you do it?

Coup: About the only one of the games in the Resistance universe that I have any time for; it's actually quite good.

Cosmic Encounter: I do like this game, but I have to say that on this occasion I was robbed by a dubious interpretation of the Loser race's special powers when faced with someone who can only play a Negotiate.card. I know that you feel my pain.

Snowdonia: The best of the bunch. One has to build a railway up Snowdon, with the twist being that it's the same railway that all the others are building. It contains the buying special powers mechanism that I increasingly don't like, but also has an intriguing weather changing process that would probably work in tabletop wargaming.

No comments:

Post a Comment