Friday 24 October 2014

Romans in Britain

Not the Howard Brenton stage play which was at the centre of an early manifestation of the social intolerance of the Thatcher era, but rather a bastardised version of the Pony Wars rules. I have mentioned before that many years ago I had a doomed plan to interest my (then) young daughters in wargames by setting up an asymmetrical, narrative driven game. I rejected the obvious colonial games such as the Northwest Frontier, Cowboys and Indians, Zulus etc for reasons of political correctness. My own favourite would have been the French Foreign Legion , but given that we lived in Bradford I didn't see any virtue in a game where the baddies were all muslims, or indeed where all the  muslims were baddies. In the end I decided that the period would be early Imperial Roman Britain and that the natives would be the Celts - more specifically the Brigantes of the Wharfe Valley; in other words 'us'. Or at least would have been 'us' had not both my daughters been born in London rather than Yorkshire and if their roots weren't a mixture of Huguenot, Irish, Gypsy and - a guess based on my mother-in-law's appearance and demeanour - fearsome Viking looters and pillagers.

The barbarians sweep past a somewhat battered villa

Anyway, the advent of the wargames annexe meant that this long abandoned project has been revived. After fiddling about with Patrols In The Sudan and Pig Wars I decided that something as close as possible to Pony Wars was the answer. However, I had a difficult time adjusting the rules to deal with the lack of ranged fire. Indeed, having fixed a date for a game I despaired of getting it to work and nearly abandoned it completely and set up something fifteenth century instead.

A formidable host of hostile tribesmen arrives

I didn't in the end and am glad because it turned out to work rather well and gave us an interesting and enjoyable game, narrowly won by the Romans. We treated it as a brainstorming session and refined the rules as we went along. Normally that would have been right up James' street, but he was noticeably tired on Wednesday. Despite that I think we ended up with a useful framework which I shall write up in due course. I also now have a small modelling and painting list to flesh out the game with some more possible events and perhaps make it look a bit better. It feels quite odd to have such a gap (certainly ten years or so) between conception of the idea and doing all the painting and then getting round to actually playing the game; but better late than never.

No comments:

Post a Comment