Thursday 27 November 2014

An ant on the move does more than a slumbering ox

The Seven Years War game being played at James' reached a conclusion last night, which he has documented here. To my astonishment it was actually quite a close finish, prompting a bit of reflection on how I could have performed that little fraction better. I'd taken the view that as I was probably going to lose anyway I should issue morale challenges at every opportunity in the hope of the dice being with me. Maybe if I'd been more discriminating and shepherded my morale chips, I could have just edged it? We shall never know; the question is, - how can I put this? - rhetorical. One other thought, there were perhaps eight cavalry melees of which I won one. If I had won four out of eight I'd probably have won overall. Excellent game though, and I still prefer the dominoes to D20s.




In other wargaming news, I continue to paint at an excruciatingly slow pace, which might be acceptable if I was also painting to a reasonable standard. I have completed yet more Roman civilians, including a road building crew and an ox cart, plus a whole four Roman auxiliary cavalry. I've also been working on a scratch-built Roman marching fort to sit on the edge of the table and act as the source of reinforcements in the 'Romans in Britain' rip-off of 'Pony Wars'. I've adopted a prefabrication technique that, on the plus side, has led to relatively quick assembly, but on the down side has led to some parts not being quite as perpendicular as one would wish. Still, in the glorious traditions of wargaming at Casa Epictetus, it will do.




There has been the usual boardgaming, this week featuring Doodle City, Castles of Mad King Ludwig and Hanabi. I can only describe the first by saying that it did my head in. Following half an hour or so of rolling dice and marking up my pad (it's a sort of turbo-charged Beetle Drive), the only thing of which I am certain is that we were all playing by different rules. The second game is one that I have played and enjoyed before and my pleasure this time was heightened by the fact that I won quite handily. The last is a rare creature indeed: a co-operative game that I liked and would play again.

2 comments:

  1. I envy you sir for a chance to play with James/Olincalad's superb SYW figures. That blog is my go-to place for SYW inspiration. Thanks for the game references. I see there's a Mac app for Doodle City, I should try that out.
    Cheers,
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am indeed fortunate, and his figures for other periods aren't bad either. In fact I'd say the Italian Wars ones are the best - the very large pike blocks look most impressive. Of course we have to put up with the ever changing rules, but nothing is perfect.

    Doodle City may be better playing against a computer. No only would it know the rules itself, but presumably it would keep you on the right lines as well. I am convinced that we were all drawing things based on our own individual interpretation of what had been said rather than anything actually related to the real rules. And as for the scoring....

    ReplyDelete