Sunday 25 January 2015

The Manchester Rambler

One hundred years ago today Ewan MacColl (né Jimmie Miller), the Grammy-winning social activist, was born in Salford. A complex man, with plenty of negatives, one must nevertheless stand back and admire the achievements. As a keen walker I've always enjoyed his song about the mass trespass at Kinder Scout:


And who could resist a song called 'Ballad of Accounting'?





Farewell to you, my love, my time is almost done
Lie in my arms once more until the darkness comes
You filled all my days, held the night at bay, dearest companion
Years pass by and they're gone with the speed of birds in flight
Our lives like the verse of a song heard in the mountains
Give me your hand and love and join your voice with mine
And we'll sing of the hurt and the pain and the joy of living

- from 'The Joy of Living'

No comments:

Post a Comment