Friday 27 February 2015

As long as there are games to play...

"As long as there are games to play it's not over" - Sir Alex Ferguson

I have been fortunate enough to be able to play some board games over the last couple of weeks. (And I am still intending to devote a post to the broader subject; as soon as real life becomes a little less complex.)


Lewis & Clark: Everything that I know about the Lewis & Clark expedition comes from the notes on the box of the Imex set so I can't really comment on the theme. It's a worker placement game, but with the benefit of very simple victory conditions; reach the objective first and you win. If this was an Olympic sport it would be the 3,000 metre steeplechase and Keyflower would be dressage. I enjoyed it. For the record, most of my Imex Lewis & Clark set is still unused, but various components are spread between a Celt village, the crew of The Crow (not yet featured in this blog as it hasn't yet appeared on the table in the wargaming annexe) and a unit of Opolchenie.

6 Nimmt: Still completely random, but rather good fun.

Guillotine: Who wouldn't enjoy executing the parasitic nobility of France, not to mention the Piss Boy? We certainly did.

Hanabi: Still a good game, but this run through was a disaster with all the 2 cards being bunched at the end.

Harbour: Apparently this is Le Havre light, but I wouldn't know about that. It was quite enjoyable, and being essentially an accounting game, I wasn't surprised when I won.

K2: I really enjoyed this despite coming last by virtue of being the only one to lose a climber to oxygen deprivation. I was much reminded of the ill fated 1986 expedition to the mountain. The board is very similar to the progress wallcharts that Fullers, Smith & Turner put up in all their pubs so drinkers could monitor the progress of the mountaineers that the brewery had sponsored, while toasting them in the specially created K2 lager. The untimely deaths of so many people rather limited the success of this as a marketing campaign.

R-Eco: I enjoyed a second run through of this although we seemed to be playing completely different rules to last time. The theme is still rather obscure though.

Sail to India: I continue to rate this elegant and minimalist game. I tried a different strategy to my usual and managed to narrowly win.



Richard III: James has gone walkabout so Peter and I decided to dig out this two-player block wargame. I hadn't played it for years and we struggled to get the rules straight at first. It's a fine game, effectively reproducing of the swings of fortune found during the Wars of the Roses, full of decision making and prioritisation and very bloody - especially on the heirs to the throne. Having sussed how it works we shall have another crack next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment