Tuesday 3 February 2015

The vasty fields of France?

Boardgaming has returned to l'Arbre d'If (although the venue is still suffering from the hasty departure of the previous landlord - unspeakable things in the kitchen were was what was being, er, spoken about this week) and I played some enjoyable games that I had not come across before.




6 Nimmt was roundly and loudly denounced by one of the attendees who refused to have anything to do with it, but I rather liked it. I had absolutely no idea of how to approach it though, despite having both the 102 and 104 cards in my hand.



Ice Flow was as usual a hit with those who played it for the first time, with it's deceptively deep strategic play catching them out. I am pleased to report a return to winning form for your bloggist, with December's sound thrashing by some random young person being exposed as the aberration it undoubtedly was.



Archaeology was  a rather fine card game filler, one of many that I have come across in recent weeks. I came a fine last, having suffered heavily from sandstorms and thieves and managing only to sell two pieces of broken pot to the museum. Poor stuff.




New game of the night for me was Lancaster. Now this is a medium complexity Euro game with elements of both worker placement and area control, and I wouldn't want to mislead anyone by suggesting that it is anything else. However, within the context of a straightforward mechanic-driven game, the theme manages to come across quite strongly, giving plenty of opportunity to intimidate one's rival barons in early 15th century England by displays of martial strength as well as racing across the channel to fight the French. The fighting was of course very high-level, although it was carried out by pieces reminiscent of a block wargame, but it also allowed stitching-up of the other English barons while one was at it. Indeed I won right at the death when one of my main rival's knights got captured and he couldn't afford the ransom. Shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment