Tuesday 10 March 2015

Pot38pouri

My mug - see postings passim - has arrived. It is too good to actually use and now resides in my trophy cabinet next to my award for being Yorkshire Interim Finance Director of the Year, 2011; and very little else. A small wargaming context is provided by the adjacent Mambise flagbearer that I bought in Havana's only model soldier shop. Given the concern expressed by General Fwa over the likelihood of the mug being transported without damage it is ironic to note that it is in pristine condition while both award and figure are much knocked about.



Peter and I returned to Richard III last week having familiarised ourselves with the rules the previous week. I was once again much impressed by the game, despite receiving a fairly sound thrashing. It deserves a proper review; but it's not going to get one. Suffice it to say that Peter recognised the importance of persuading nobles in the other faction to switch sides earlier than I did. The Yorkists took two campaigns as invading pretenders to seize the throne, but after that they were never going to be removed. Henry VI was reduced to making vain, and historically implausible, heroic battlefield charges.

Other boardgames played recently include:

  • Abluxxen: Enjoyed it, but have no idea what strategy to follow
  • Archipelago: A fairly heavy game. In theory, although not practice, it's semi-cooperative. I think I'd get more out of it on a second run through, especially the range of possible victory criteria.
  • Red7: I really like this.
  • One Night Ultimate Werewolf: I don't really like this. I feel even more stupid than usual sitting in the pub with my eyes closed listening to an American voice on someone's smartphone pretentiously intoning drivel - including the truly ridiculous "Insomniac, wake up".
 Musically, it's all been a bit folk and roots. The Luke Daniels Trio were showcasing their leader's own songs, but for me the most memorable moment was their version of 'Baker Street' with the iconic saxophone replaced by melodeon. Diamond Dac, playing in aid of the local food bank, are also a trio, this time of fairly mature chaps playing fairly mature music. Still, there is nothing wrong with a repertoire heavily biased towards Mississippi John Hurt with smatterings of Big Bill Broonzy and Blind Boy Fuller.

No comments:

Post a Comment