Wednesday 1 April 2015

Pot39pouri

So, still no wargaming, although a largish and mixed order has gone off to Warbases. The games it's aimed at are:

  • trying Basic Impetus using the Celts and Romans that I have for the Pony Wars variant we played a few months ago.
  • extending C&C Napoleonics to deploy more units on a wider battlefield
  • differentiating between battle commanders and unit leaders in the Wars of the Roses
Speaking of the Romans in Britain, Peter has drawn my attention to a meld of Pony Wars and Sharpe Practice that appeared in the Lardies' last Christmas special which looks to be an interesting source of ideas. My big problem is that I didn't redraft the rules immediately after the last runs through and have frankly forgotten what we decided.

Boardgaming resumed (by the way I still intend to dedicate a whole post to the whys and wherefores, but the world of boardgaming in Leeds has been riven by a schism every bit as deep as that of wargamers in Ilkley) with the usual wide range of games:

  • Kobayakawa: another excellent minimalist Japanese game. In fact it's so minimalist that once you know the rules - themselves, er, minimalist - one could play with a normal pack of cards (or even better 6 Nimmt!) and not need to buy it at all.
  • Abluxxen: I like it, but still can't work out a strategy to follow.
  • Mysterium: Cosa? Dove? Chi? Still don't like it.
  • The Three Musketeers: I was the cardinal and was given the runabout by the musketeers. I'd like to play it more often.
  • Hanabi: Much discussion of conventions - I think I'm against - and a solid 20.
  • Fidelitas: A new one on me which I'd like to play again now I understand it. I didn't win because I couldn't count to nine.
And briefly, music has included the Jon Palmer Acoustic Band and Blueflint. They were both excellent although sadly the two - count 'em - banjos in the latter did nothing to alter my aversion to the instrument.

No comments:

Post a Comment