Friday 23 October 2015

Deuteronomy 1:10

"The Lord your God hath multiplied you, and, behold, ye are this day as the stars of heaven for multitude."

Suddenly, this blog is swamped with readers, which surely can only mean one thing: the Russian spambots are back. But no! In fact, James has posted a link to here on his own blog and his fanboys have taken the hint. Well now you're here, how best to keep you? I know, an opera review.

And so to the opera. Opera North have revived their thirty year old production of Rossini's opera buffa The Barber of Seville, perhaps to complement last season's Marriage of Figaro (in which case why not the other way round?), perhaps as an attempt to beat the crowd to next year's anniversary, and perhaps just because it's popular with the punters. It was very full, with the area up in the gods which I frequent these days, being both crowded and hot. Never mind, it was as good as I remembered, although I was a bit less tolerant of the people on stage leading the applause this time; I'll clap when I feel like it, thank you very much. And applaud I did, especially for Gavan Ring's Figaro as spiv. The opera is sung in English and the translation is funny and pertinent. As Bartolo points out while lamenting 'modern opera', if something is too silly to be said it can still be sung.

Добро пожаловать

No comments:

Post a Comment