Wednesday 6 January 2016

Who won the Cold War?

I have been asked to expand my recent comments on the Cold War. Now my only expertise on the subject is the fact that I lived through it, or at least from the invasion of Hungary to the fall of the Berlin Wall, plus of course what I learned at first hand from my tangential role in the US invasion of Grenada (to be absolutely precise my role was in the aftermath).

However, I am confident of one thing: whilst the Cold War was presented as a struggle between democracy and Stalinism which was won by the former, that is not what actually happened. In fact the Stalinists won and are ruling over us now, with their classic tools of surveillance, control of the media, propaganda and suppression of dissent.

"The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion." - Camus



1 comment:

  1. Some interesting happenings in Japan of late. Newscasters - and perhaps also newscasteresses - who've criticised the PM have lost their jobs. Newspapers that've been critical of certain policies have had to change their tune or face consequences, partisan politicians are in a position to influence what is shown by the national broadcaster and so on. All happening under the nose of the populace and not much of a song and dance being made about it.

    ReplyDelete