Thursday 21 April 2016

Pot54pouri

There has been music. Firstly the Blues Band, who basically do what the name suggests and have been doing it for a long, long time. They are fronted by Paul Jones, famous for having presented Radio 2's Rhythm & Blues show for the last thirty odd years and, less impressively, for once having sung 'Do wah diddy diddy dum diddy do'. Still, we all have the odd skeleton in the cupboard and they are immensely professional and well worth catching.


I reported here on the Jon Palmer Acoustic Band when they recently recorded a live album - my copy of which has just arrived and is both very good and very faithful to my memory of the night - and, in short order, I've seen them again. This time it was at a fundraiser for the junior doctors' strike fund, which gave them plenty of excuses to be rude about Jeremy Hunt; not that there has ever been a shortage.


Finally, I saw the Gum Trio, a name which I assume is a pun. I'm not sure if there is a particular point to it because they didn't compromise much in pursuit of popularity. Two of their first three songs were sung in French. One was zydeco and had about fifty verses; the other was a paean to a Congolese accordion player and the lyrics, as far as I could establish, mainly consisted of assertions that the chap involved did indeed play the accordion. I must pick out as a highlight their excellent ska version of "Lara's Theme", which is as good an excuse to post a picture of Julie Christie as one could wish for.

And, even more finally, I've been out and about with the new, nearly-new camera. I am thinking hard about the sort of photos that I'd really like to take, but for now here's one looking back down Crummack Dale from Beggars Stile; that's obviously Pendle Hill in the far distance.


And here's a limestone pavement on Moughton Scar; the peak on the left is Ingleborough.


No comments:

Post a Comment