Friday 7 April 2017

In which I am pedantic about semantics

"The difference between tax avoidance and tax evasion is the thickness of a prison wall." 
- Denis Healey

Given all the emotional highs and lows caused by all the events referred to in the previous post I thought I was on uncontroversial ground with wargaming. However, there appears to be a bit of a disagreement going on about the definition of the word 'evade'.  I don't refer to its meaning in common English; surely the fact that the word carries implications of trickery, guile, slyness, and deceit is plainly there for all to see? No, I mean in wargaming terms. Does it mean skillfully declining the offer of combat made by an enemy by utilising the attributes of speed and manoeuverability in all terrains inherent in the troop type being represented? Or does it mean running away? There's one for the philosophers among you.

In other wargaming news I have been sorting out stuff in order to put it away on my new shelves. This has involved rummaging through and putting into bags a vast amount of unpainted 20mm plastic figures, a job that is rather boring even for a wargaming accountant. I have certainly acquired some odd stuff over the years. What, for example, am I going to do with the small number of Punic War Romans that I have? Let's be honest, nothing. Whereas the yet more Roman and Celt casualty figures that have come to light might just go to the front of the queue and get painted as markers for To the Strongest!. Other oddities unearthed include a crocodile, two angels and a Father Christmas, all of which I am struggling to fit into the periods which I game. There are a couple of boxes left to go through so plenty more opportunity to reflect on money wasted over the years.

In parallel with sorting out the crap I am setting up a game of Epic C&C Napoleonics. I've gone for the Möckern scenario included in Expansion 6 - 16th October 1813 in the lead up to Leipzig - because it is French against Prussians and Russians and those are what troops I've got. I might have to fudge the hills a bit though. Some of the units on the French side were actually Polish which will give me a chance to field my Duchy of Warsaw figures, the infantry possibly for the first time ever. They are painted a truly hideous shade of blue; photographs will follow.

And finally, as I've just mention the Polish, let's hear from Bobby Vinton, also apparently known as the 'Polish Prince of Poch', whatever that is.







No comments:

Post a Comment